Monday, May 7, 2012

Back on the Bandwagon - Saving with Cash

Being pregnant comes with it's challenges when trying to keep to a reasonable grocery budget.

Let's just say I fell off the bandwagon pretty fiercely earlier this year.  I stopped couponing and my meal planning was "Tonight, I feel like eating popcorn and steak..."

The truth is, we just don't have the luxury of living that lifestyle.  Maybe some day I will, but it will always pain me to know when I slip up and how much money I can waste when laziness/crankiness/hunger strikes.  It's just so easy to spend at the grocery store - right?  I'm a sucker for a good food display.


Why yes, I DO need soup.  Soup for all!


I'm preaching to the choir when I complain about the outrageous food prices.  Heaven forbid I want to eat healthy and feed my daughter...grapes!   I started swiping my debit card instead of sticking to our pay with cash principle and our food budget grew by at least 1/3.  We squeaked by for a couple of months without noticing (or hiding like an ostrich in the sand). But reality caught up pretty quickly. So, I stopped hormonally shopping, pulled up my big girl undies, and got organized.

We're back to using cash and already seeing a major difference.  I think we needed the reminder that Cash Speaks.  On paydays we take out our food/grocery budget and make a plan.  I'm doing some coupons again, but not with the fervor I once did.  But it's going better with easing myself back into it and shopping the sales at Harris Teeter.  I adore Souther Savers - do you use it too?

Have you had any good wake up calls when it comes to living on a budget?  What helps you stick to your food budget?

No comments: