Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Coupon "fix"

There is a method to my madness.  Usually.  Even after working (and re-working) my technique for maximizing my time and money with coupons, I still have plenty of mind-numbing moments.

Moments where I look up from my papery wonderland and think, "Is it really worth it?"


If a coupon falls in the wood and nobody is around .... okay, sorry, a bit melodramatic.

But, really.  Sometimes I let it fall to the wayside, and then I am cutting and organizing and twirling like a couponing dervish.

Please tell me you've been there.

I needed the win tonight at the Harris Teeter super double event to get my coupon "fix".  I won't bore you with a picture of my haul, but I did come home with plenty of organic meats and produce.  Stocked our toiletries and baking shelf.  Have enough actual meals and go-to items to last us till payday.  I'll make a run for milk later in the week, but I'm happy with how my cabinet is looking.  This was one of my best savings trips overall!

Total spent:  $185.38
Coupons:  $89.41
Vic Savings:  $48.11


How did you do this week?  Do you ever suffer from coupon burn out?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to stay at it Erin. the immediate reward is evident and so is the long term reward, especially if you tally up what you use to spend on a normal shopping trip compared to even an average of "today's" typical shopping trip. Planning pays and that goes right back in your wallet my dear. the lack of space in my closet is encouraging me to make meals out of what I have but even that gets old because I always have one or two things missing that send me right back to the store. you encourage me to plan better, which is key. "No Time" in Sterling, VA ;)

Kaitlin Jensen said...

Erin,

Could you give me some suggestions for places to look for coupons for things I actually might purchase/need. I seem to only find coupons for pet food (I don't have a pet), make-up (don't need that all the time) and then for junk food like cookies(trying to avoid those). . .any direction would be great.

Thanks, Kaitlin

Erin said...

Thanks "No Time" and I'm sure you are doing better than you think ;)

Kaitlin, a good place to start on this blog would be my Art of Couponing series. You'll find it under the labels on the right. The "Getting Started" post talks about different places to look. Make sure you have enough printer ink and paper, because I usually find a TON of great coupons online. It takes a couple of extra steps, but they are usually high value. There is the sunday paper and store's home mailers, so continue to pull from there. I only cut what I need or anticipate using before they expire. I coupon for dry goods, cleaning supplies, storage (ziploc, foil, etc.), dairy, pet, baby items, and toiletries. It is overwhelming in the beginning, but just start small! Good luck - I hope I can help :)