1. DIY Pedicure - Pretty soon I won't be able to reach my feet, let alone paint my toenails. But, I did muster up the energy to paint them myself last week. I love a good pedicure, but I remind myself that it is a rare treat.
2. Eat Seasonally - This is always a way to save on your grocery budget, and it's even easier during the warm months. Summer offers a medley of fabulous fruits and veggies, so it's not too pricey to stock up at the grocery store or local farmer's market. Stock up and freeze fresh fruit and veggies for those long winter months ahead. We are enjoying our fruit CSA this year and this week we scored fresh peaches, blueberries and strawberries. Yum!
3. Have a Picnic - Anywhere. Anytime. Just throw a blanket on the ground, grab some snacks, and call it a picnic! This seems to hold magical powers for children, and it's another great way to enjoy the warmer weather. Even if you're inside on a rainy day - it's still fun :)
4. Prioritize Trips/Treats - Have a wedding to attend or family vacation scheduled? Choose what trip or special treats you want your family to enjoy before the season begins. Loosely map out the next few months and decide what to spend money on. If nothing seems worth it - save that money for something better around the corner. You don't have to stay home every weekend, but you might want to weigh the pros and cons before the urge to be spontaneous hits you!
5. Stay Local - Explore your neighborhood, town or city and see what fun, local and free activities are available. Fireworks, festivals, parks and parades are all ways to get the family out without spending much (if anything). Avoid the movie theatre and opt for an evening of catching fireflies instead!
6. Make it Special - Let your kids stay up a bit later. Bend the rules and let them know that Summer is special. Indulge in ice cream cones, popsicles, and sticky faces! They don't need an extravagent vacation to feel loved. Make memories for them and for you.