Thursday, January 24, 2013

3 Cheap Beauty Tips for the Busy Mom

As mothers of young children we don't always take the best care of ourselves, right?  Not that we don't care about our appearance, but we're just too consumed with the intense needs of our babes that we fail to care for ourselves the way we'd like.  

When thinking about where I wanted to be in 2013, I made a resolution to make an attempt every day to do something for myself.  With a 5-month-old and 2-year-old I'm lucky to have a moment in the bathroom alone, forget any self-care or primping I might want to do.  It was to the point that I don't think I recognized myself with a coat of mascara on...ouch.  Add some lipgloss and I think my husband thought another woman was living in his house.  No bueno.  

So, I set about deciding how I could cheaply and effectively update my beauty routine while not feeling overwhelmed by all the choices available.  Turning 30 with changing skin needs didn't hurt my decision either.  It was time for a revival! Hallelujah... 

1.  Birchbox - I read about this last year on another blog and swooned.  A box of the latest skin and beauty samples delivered right to my door?! Santa listened to my gentle (i.e. pleading and begging) request and delivered.  I love that you can customize the samples to your skin needs and coloring so you can actually USE what you receive.  Plus, for only $10 a month (there are several subscription options) I feel pretty spoiled at that price.  My current favorites..

Frownies Rose Water Hydrator Spray - Refreshing and fights against dry Winter skin.

theBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer - This all over luminizer goes on smoothly and quickly.  



2.  "Like" it, "Pin" it, "Follow" it - Do you have a favorite moisturizer or lipstick brand?  If it's a must in your routine, go ahead and find the company page on Facebook.  "Like" the page so you can receive updates, inspiration, or even coupons.  You can utilize Pinterest as well and create a board to monitor the cheapest websites to order your products.  For example, I got my hubby his favorite shave cream from Drugstore.com and I can monitor the deals they offer for free shipping and discounts when it needs to be restocked.  Also, pick one or two favorite beauty blogs that represents a style similar to your own.  Follow them view Twitter or Facebook and be inspired to get out of your yoga pants and into something that actually buttons.  Social Media is free - let it work for you.  


3.  Call a Friend - If your like me, there is at least one friend who seems to just know how to use make-up and can make awesome recommendations.  If you have similar skin or features to a stylish friend, co-worker, or family member - ask them their secret!  Besides feeling flattered, they'll probably spill everything you wanted to know and then some.  

 I think I might take 5 minutes for a quickie manicure today.  What will you do for yourself today?

No comments: