Monday, October 10, 2011

Make a Change Monday - The Paper Towel Problem

Taking a note from Family Friendly Frugality and participating in Make a Change Monday!  Every Monday (I'll try weekly, but honestly, it might be twice monthly!) I'll talk about a frugal change that can dramatically affect your bottom line.  Some are small, while some are big.  ALL are thrifty :) Enjoy!

(My cat lazing about, thinking about wiping his paws on my precious paper towels.)

Lately I have really been guilting myself over our household's use and misuse of paper towels.  Here are my concerns:

  1. Expense.  I coupon and get great deals on paper towels, but I am still spending more that I would like.  Serious grocery-budget-eaters.
  2. Waste.  Save a tree, use a hand towel.
  3. Space.  I don't have many locations to cram roll upon roll of stockpiled paper towels.  I always have a leaning tower threatening to explode out of a cabinet at any moment.
I know what you're thinking.  Just use a dishrag or towel! And I do, I promise I do.  For small messes or for hand wiping, I use towels.  But, I always return to my paper towels because they just seem more sanitary.  Plus, I don't really want to add to my already growing mountain of laundry.  That's a lot of washing in my opinion, and I know that laundry is my weakness.

I have dreams of being found buried alive under a mountain of dirty bath towels.  That's another post though, I digress.

So, I've decided to go for it.  I'm going to chop up a ton of old rags and stow them conveniently under my kitchen sink.  Maybe if I limit buying paper towels, I will be forced to turn to the rags.  Or, I'll just have soaked pants from wiping my hands all over them.  Not a good look.

Do you use paper towels, rags, or handtowels? Or a combination?  Is it working for you?


What frugal challenge do you have for yourself this week?

10 comments:

Alexis B. said...

We use a combination of paper towels and re-usable "paper towels." Cutting up old shirts or rags is a good option, but if you don't have any on hand, I highly recommend Etsy seller AthenaCreates for quality re-usable paper towels. I bought a set of 26 and I use them in place of paper towels for when we are eating and for small messes. I still like to have paper towels on hand, but we have drastically reduced how much we use. A used cloth goes into something called a "wet bag" (my friend has a cloth diaper business and she makes wet bags that don't mildew or smell. She gave me one to use for our cloths and I <3 it!)which hangs in our laundry room. (Its nice because I can also put dishtowels in there.) When it gets full, dump it into the washer (along with the bag) and voila!

Erin said...

I have heard about the wet bag alternative - how often do you find yourself washing a load? Do you mix it with your other laundry or just solo? Maybe with a load of bath towels?
I will have to look into the Etsy site - thanks for the tip! :)

Amy said...

We only use rags, dishtowels and tea towels. Started because I had an obsession with cute tea towels and now I have too many to justify buying paper towels. (Win/Win?)
I also have a wet bag that hangs from my stove handle and it just toss all the dirty ones in.

Aaaand my frugal challenge is that this week I started full-time cloth diapering again! I'm "settled" enough in this house after the move not to start again. :)

Erin said...

Oh WOW, Amy, that is amazing! I have my shameful pile of starter diapers I never even prepped >__<

Question: When cleaning off a toddler, do you use the same towels? How often do you wash the bag?

These questions sound so personal, don't they?? LOL, oh the mundane of the day to day ;)

mandy said...

I have no wisdom - BUT I have been struggling with this issue LOL = Erin you READ my mind! I use paper towels for EVERYTHING ;(

Wildhoney rose said...

To Towel or Not to Towel,that is the Question!

i use a combow of all too,Tea towels,hand towels & paper towels.
I told my family i will only buy one roll of paper towel a week and if they waste it they will be wiping there hands on there Tshirts!! Amy has so meny Tea towels she turns them into cute little aprons!! :)kx

MJ Long said...

Hi Erin. I know what you mean about the paper towel storage issue; we buy our paper towels at BJ's. Not that we use that many paper towels...Mary and I do most of our kitchen cleaning with dish rags.

For really big messes, like when a power outage leads to puddle of melt water next to the fridge, we keep a pile of old bath towels in a rag drawer in the garage.

Erin said...

That's a great method Kim - I think we will have a mix as well. I just need to limit the urge to just grab one for unnecessary messes. Plus limit buying them!

Thanks Jim - I just hate all the waste!

FrugalHayman said...

While growing up, my mom always used a wash cloth to clean. I've been married for almost 18 years, and do all my cleaning with a white wash cloth. I have a stash of them. I use different things to clean my messes, whether it be diluted bleach, vinegar, or soap in a spray bottle.

Erin said...

I have been relying on vinegar a lot more too! Ants hate it :) Mixed it with some Dr. Bronner's lavender - genius. The less chemicals, the better!