Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Blogger Who Never Blogs and the Family that Loves Her

This is awkward.

I feel like we haven't seen one another in an awfully long time.

I've been distant.  Apologies.

Let's move on to something SUPER exciting which might (maybe?) explain my brief hiatus.

This August, we will become a family of four!  Baby Girl #2 is healthy and kicking, and we are thrilled and blessed beyond belief :)

(That's not a beer belly.  Promise.)

After the First Trimester Sickies of Doom passed, I started reevaluating some of my priorities as a home economist, mother and wife.  I've loved the past two years as a SAHM, but I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of my endeavors and goals.  It was time to scale back and assess what I considered "successful".

One major thorn in my side was my feelings of inadequacy as a house keeper.  When I was under the weather and chasing a toddler, I felt like I slipped up even worse.  You know the sad internal monologue of...
"I'm a stay-at-home-mom...why can't I just DO the chores?"
"Clearly, I'm the laziest woman alive."
"I don't have time to do A, B, or C.  Because I must catch up on my Hulu shows and take a nap."
"I'll think about that tomorrow.  Hell, it worked for Scarlett O'Hara, right?"

I needed a solution that actually worked for me and the way I think.  There are LOTS of super organized women out there that write faaaabulous blog entries about home journals, chore charts, and the art of the to-do list.  Lots of free printables, examples, and pretty photos of their organized and sparkling homes.

As I've said before, I am NOT that woman.  If you are - congratulations.

If you're not, join the masses.

A friend and past co-worker mentioned to me what she had been using for years to help stay on top of the housework.  She promised me not to judge the site on first look, but just to try it.  Maybe it could work for me.  This is a friend who always has it together but not in an intimidating manner.  I was sure to take note.

Shortly after our conversation, I checked out Flylady and signed up for the daily emails.  I started slowly and hopped around her site a bit.  Okay, I technically cheated in the beginning, but I found a strategy that worked for me.  So, I'm considering that a win.  I've also maintained (more or less) my new routines and can see a real benefit to me and my family.  With the madness of a newborn in the house, I know I'll be very grateful in the months to come.

If my internal monologue starts up again, I fill it with...
"I can do anything for 15 minutes."
"It doesn't have to be perfect - just do a bit now and more later."
"Whatever - at least I'm dressed to shoes and my kitchen sink is shining!"
"Having a clean and uncluttered home blesses my family."
"Don't get sidetracked.  One job at a time!"

My control journal is still a messy notebook with penciled notes, and I really like it that way.  I've been purposefully resisting my urge to laminate, color code, and obsess about making the journal perfect.  This is how I know FlyLady has creeped into my psyche.

FlyLady does have a shop and lots of fantastic looking products.  However, she really preaches a sense of frugality when it comes to house cleaning.  You don't need the fancy gadgets or expensive cleaners to get the job done.  As she says, "Soap is soap!"

f you feel like you could use some help, I suggest trying it out for a month.  Start here and see how it goes. I'm still "fluttering" but I'm hoping to one day be "flying" :)

1 comment:

mandy said...

UGH my comment didn’t post! AND OF COURSE I didn’t COPY what I had written ARGH! LOVE YOU - I cracked up as I read this = envisioning you writing ;) I LOVE ur written voice AND ur audible one! I am checking out da site!