Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Brown paper packages...

..tied up with string...

Try not to hum (or loudly belt) and channel your inner Julie Andrews today.  It can't be done - she is just infectious!

Speaking of brown paper packages, I have really enjoyed my take on christmas wrapping this year.  I've saved money, and our gifts have a classic, simple flair that really puts me in the spirit.

Enter standard packing paper from Target.  I think my roll was around $5.


Enter cheap ribbons: You can stock up with Michael's weekly coupons or at the Dollar Store.



Enter Gloss Finish Scotch tape: Gives it a nice, clean finish.  I found regular scotch tape didn't have enough stick power to hold the heavy paper.


The paper lasts -forever- and even after all my wrapping, I still have a huge roll left.  My only complaint is that it does curl up and I have to weight it down to get it cut and folded the way I want.  But, hey, no biggie.




I had some fun Christmas stamps I got on clearance last year, so I jazzed some of them up a bit.


Now, I did want something pretty that the kids on my shopping list could really rip into.  I don't think the brown paper will have that satisfying riiiiiiip that I was going for.  But, I managed to get all kiddie gifts wrapped with a small roll of colored paper.  When usually, I'm going back for several rolls each year.  And honestly, the more trips I make out this time of year, the more tempted I am to overspend.

What style did you go with for Christmas wrapping this year?  Sunday comics DO count.  In case you were wondering. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done the brown paper with ribbon before too. I love the stamp idea though, didn't think of this! Thanks Erin!

Jen

Erin said...

Thanks for reading, Jen! :) Happy wrapping!